Personal Injury

FAQ About San Antonio Car Accidents

Get answers about your lawsuit

A car accident can turn your life upside-down. You could be left with injuries and bills that keep piling up. You may also have a lot of questions. Tracey Fox & Walters have the answers you need. Our goal is simple - to help you get the maximum amount of compensation possible so you can move on with your life.

Here are just some of the questions people have had when they've been in an accident. If you have any other questions about your car accident in San Antonio, contact us to schedule a free case evaluation.

Should I accept a settlement offer from the insurance company?

It depends. It is in your best interests to speak with an attorney first before accepting any settlement offer. We want to make sure that the amount being offered is enough to cover all of your expenses for your accident. Usually, the insurance company wants to get away with paying you as little as possible. The offer from the insurance company may cover some of your immediate expenses, but will it cover long-term future care? Does it reimburse you for your pain and suffering? What about lost future income? Probably not. An experienced San Antonio car accident lawyer will fight for your rights and help you maximize your compensation.

Return to Top

Can I file a lawsuit if a vehicle defect caused my accident?

Possibly. Auto manufacturers have just as much responsibility as other drivers for keeping you and your loved ones safe on the road. If the company that designed, manufactured, or sold your car failed to identify a dangerous auto defect that caused your accident, you may be able to hold them liable. Any defective auto part that contributes to injury or death could be the basis of a lawsuit, including tires, brakes, airbags, accelerator pedals and seatbelts.

Return to Top

What are my options if I was hit by a drunk driver?

You can seek compensation through the driver's insurance company. You may also be able to file suit against the driver for negligence. Depending on the circumstances, you may have a case against a bar or restaurant that continued to serve alcohol to the driver who was already showing signs of intoxication. If you were seriously injured, you may also be able to seek punitive damages. One of our attorneys can review your case and explain your options.

Return to Top

The police filed charges against the other driver. Can I still file a lawsuit?

Yes. The charges that the police will file against a driver are criminal charges. These charges are filed by the government in a criminal case and are intended to punish the person who is being filed against. If that person is found guilty, he or she may have to pay fines or serve time in prison. If you choose to take legal action against the driver after an accident, that action will come in the form of a personal injury lawsuit in a civil case.

A driver could face both criminal charges and civil action after an accident, and the two cases proceed separately. Because the burden of proof is lower in civil court than in criminal court, you may be able to win your civil case for financial compensation from the other driver even if he or she is acquitted of criminal charges.

Return to Top

Do I need legal representation after my San Antonio car accident?

Most likely. If you were injured, or if the case is at all complicated - and any case can get complicated in a hurry - it's a good idea to meet with an experienced San Antonio car accident attorney. A lawyer can help you get the maximum financial compensation you are eligible to receive. Whatever the details of your car accident, it doesn't cost you a thing to sit down with one of our attorneys. We offer a free case evaluation and can help you decide what to do next.

Return to Top

What should I do if I’ve been in a car accident?

First, call the police. They can secure the scene and fill out an accident report. Get medical attention, even if you seem to feel OK. If you can, gather information such as the names of all drivers and passengers involved, vehicle descriptions (make, model, year), driver’s license numbers, license plate numbers and insurance information. Take photos of the accident scene and damage to the vehicles. Tell your insurance company you’ve been involved in an accident, but keep your comments brief and stick to the facts. Finally, get legal advice from an experienced attorney.

Return to Top