Personal Injury

Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Accidents

Houston trusts our car accident lawyers to handle complicated claims

Getting the compensation you need and deserve after a Houston car accident involving an uninsured or underinsured motorist can be very difficult. That’s why it’s critical that you hire a skilled Houston car accident lawyer who knows the law and knows how to get results. That’s why you need Tracey Fox & Walters to help you rebuild your life after your accident.

Under Texas law, all motorists are required to carry motor vehicle insurance. In theory, that means that if you are hurt in an accident, you should be covered. But as too many Houston residents find out the hard way, that’s not always the case. Too many drivers on our roads are illegally operating without insurance. Others have coverage, but not enough to pay for all of the damages they cause.

What is an uninsured or underinsured motorist?

An uninsured motorist is someone who illegally operates a vehicle without carrying liability insurance or meeting one of Texas’ alternative criteria for establishing financial liability. If you are injured in a hit-and-run accident caused by a driver who is never found, that driver is also considered uninsured by default.

An underinsured motorist is a driver who has liability insurance, but not enough to cover the full cost of the accident. Under Texas law, drivers are required to carry what is called 30/60 liability protection - $30,000 for injuries to any individual person in one accident and $60,000 total for all injuries caused in one accident. It’s quite common for car accidents to cause damage in excess of those minimum requirements.

How can a Houston attorney help if I'm hurt by an uninsured or underinsured motorist?

If you've been injured in a car accident caused by an uninsured or underinsured motorist, we’ll review your insurance policy to see whether you have uninsured or underinsured motorist protection (UM/UIM). This is an optional type of coverage in Texas, but your insurance carrier is required to offer it to you, and if you don’t want it, you need to decline it in writing. If you don't have UM/UIM coverage, we'll review your insurance documents further to see whether the insurance company actually offered you this coverage as required by law.

There may be other legal options if you don't have UM/UIM coverage, or don't have enough. Legally, the motorist who caused your injuries is personally liable for any injuries not covered by insurance, and we may be able to pursue compensation from his or her personal assets. We may also be able to show that the motorist who hurt you was covered under a family member's or employer's policy, or that a third party - such as an automobile manufacturer - was partially responsible and thus liable for your injuries.

Take strong legal action. Contact our law firm.

Many Houston residents assume they're out of options after being hit by an uninsured or underinsured motorist. The truth is rarely that simple. That's why we want to meet with you for a free consultation right away. We'll discuss the circumstances of your accident and help you understand your legal options, and we'll do what it takes to build your case for the compensation you need.

We'd be happy to meet with you at our Houston office, or if you can't come to us, we'll come to your home, office or hospital room or wherever else is convenient for you. Contact us right away to discuss your case. Call (713) 495-2333.