Negligent drivers who cause pedestrian accidents need to be held accountable.
In a quick succession of separate weekend crashes, the deaths of four pedestrians have devastated the victim's loved ones and Houston's walking and biking communities.
The string of late-September fatal pedestrian accidents underscores the need for roadway improvements that make streets safe for all users. It also serves as a tragic reminder that reckless drivers must answer for their negligence. Here are the circumstances of recent fatal collisions, according to the Houston Chronicle:
- 4600 Bellfort Ave - A pedestrian was hit by at least two vehicles. Only one of at least two drivers stopped to help.
- 9400 Main St - A pedestrian was killed crossing Westridge St.
- 9400 North Freeway - While crossing a freeway exit, the West Mount Houston Road ramp, a pedestrian was killed in a hit-and-run.
- 9500 Clearwood Dr - This was a second fatal hit and run in southeast Houston. The driver apparently fled the scene but left behind three vehicle passengers. The driver was not well-known to the occupants and did not own the car.
Take action after a Houston pedestrian accident.
After a pedestrian accident, victims and their loved ones deserve justice and compensation for their losses. But they often don't know what steps to take.
Here are some basic steps to take if you or someone you love is hit by a car as a pedestrian.
Steps to take after a Texas pedestrian accident
The Houston metro area ranks as one of the most dangerous for pedestrians in the U.S. Since January, 74 pedestrians have been killed in the city.
If you were hit by a motor vehicle, here's what you can do:
- At the crash site - Call 911. Although it's not always possible if your health and safety allow for it, start gathering evidence at the scene. Get photos and video of the crash, injuries, and property damage. Get names and contact information from witnesses. Do not speculate on the cause of the accident or argue fault at the crash scene.
- See a doctor immediately - Even if you feel fine, you could have a severe injury with delayed pain. For example, you might not be aware that you are bleeding internally or have a concussion. If it is a day or more after the crash, it is still worthwhile to see a doctor for a thorough medical examination. This visit will create an official medical record of your injuries, help you pursue appropriate medical treatment, and support your claim.
- Contact Tracey Fox Walters & King - Our law firm has more than 100 years of combined legal experience. We have recovered millions in damages for injured accident victims. Our attorneys know how to investigate pedestrian accidents and build strong cases that demand maximum compensation.
Steps for families of fatal pedestrian accident victims
It is difficult to think about money and bills when you are grieving. But expenses can quickly add up after an accident. Typically, you file a wrongful death lawsuit to receive compensation for things like burial costs, lost household income, and mental anguish.
In Texas, the deceased's spouse, children, or parents are typically the people who may bring a wrongful death claim. However, if the family does not take action within a given timeframe, the executor of the deceased's estate may do so with the family's permission.
Contact our firm to learn more about legal deadlines and how to take action for your deceased loved one.
Get justice and compensation after a Texas pedestrian accident.
Even though it might be obvious who was at fault in your pedestrian accident, you should speak with a lawyer as soon as possible. Reckless drivers usually deny being at fault for another person's serious injuries or death, and insurance companies are financially motivated to pay victims as little money as possible.
One of the most effective things you can do after getting hit by a car is to contact Tracey Fox King & Walters for a free case evaluation. Our Texas pedestrian accident attorneys have a track record of successfully handling injury claims and wrongful death lawsuits in Harris County and throughout the state.
To learn more about how our law firm can help with your potential legal case, contact us today.