How can we help?
Sean P. Tracey
Sean Patrick Tracey is a board-certified personal injury and civil trial attorney with over 20 years of experience in trying cases and obtaining verdicts and settlements on behalf of clients in Texas and nationwide.
Sean’s extensive experience in the areas of pharmaceutical litigation, product liability, personal injury (birth injury, wrongful death), toxic tort, mesothelioma/benzene, medical malpractice, and the Maritime/Jones Act has led him to obtain 10 multi-million dollar verdicts over his tenure as an attorney.
“I feel very strongly in this line of work that if you don't want to help people, you shouldn't be doing this.”
In 2007, Sean tried a mesothelioma case in Los Angeles County to a $5.2 million dollar verdict which was upheld on appeal. In October 2009, he was the lead plaintiff attorney in the first Paxil® birth defect case (Kilker vs. GSK), representing the family of a three-year-old Pennsylvania boy who was born with an aortic defect that restricted blood flow to his lungs. Sean proved negligence on the part of the pharmaceutical company, which resulted in a $2.5 million award for his client.
As a result of his work on the Paxil® litigation, including the Kilker verdict, U.S. Lawyers Weekly named Sean one of the Top 10 Lawyers of the Year for 2009. In July 2012, Sean was appointed by Judge Cynthia Rufe as one of the four members of the plaintiffs’ executive committee to lead the nationwide Zoloft® MDL (birth defect multidistrict litigation) against Pfizer in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania. Texas Monthly magazine has recognized him as a Texas Super Lawyer for ten years straight—an honor restricted to the top five percent of lawyers in the state. He is a frequent speaker on the topic of trial techniques, epidemiology, and science in the courtroom.
Married with one child and one grandchild, Sean lives in Houston. When he’s not in the courtroom, he spends his free time on his ranch near Fredericksburg.
Areas of Practice
- Pharmaceutical Litigation
- Product Liability
- Personal Injury: Birth Injuries, Wrongful death
- Toxic Tort
- Mesothelioma / Benzene
- Medical Malpractice
- Maritime / Jones Act
Certified Legal Specialties
- Board Certified in Personal Injury, Texas Board of Legal Specialization, 1996
- Certified as a Civil Trial Specialist, National Board of Trial Advocacy, 1998
- Texas, 1991
- Pennsylvania, 2007
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Texas, 1992
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas, 1992
- U.S. District Court Western District of Texas, 1992
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Texas, 1992
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit, 1992
- Supreme Court of Pennsylvania
- South Texas College of Law, Houston, Texas
- J.D. - 1991
- University of St. Thomas, Houston, Texas
- B.A. - 1988
- Major: Philosophy
- Frequent Speaker, Trial Techniques, including Jury Selection in the United States
Honors and Awards
- Avvo Superb Attorney, 2013
- Texas Super Lawyer, Texas Monthly Magazine, 2004 - 2013
- Top Houston Lawyer, H Texas Magazine, 2005 - 2006
- National Trial Competition, South Texas College of Law, 1991
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar of Texas, Litigation Section, Member, New Discovery Rules Committee
- Texas Trial Lawyers Association
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- American Association for Justice, Birth Trauma Litigation, Medical Malpractice, Products Liability Sections, Member
- Board of Trustees of the William J. Flynn Center for Irish Studies Advisory Board at the University of St. Thomas